TOP 100 SOMMELIERS LAUNCHES IN SPAIN
5th October 2023, London – The first Top 100 Sommeliers in Spain has been Launched. The annual ranking of Spain’s very best sommeliers will be announced in 2024.
Top 100 Sommeliers was launched in the UK in May 2023 and following its recognition and popularity, with wine professionals in the hospitality sector, the organisers have teamed up with well-known Spanish sommelier Augustin Trapero to bring the initiative to Spain.
This annual ranking is not just about an individual’s profile or the size of their wine list. It is judged on a combination of factors, making it an all-encompassing validation of each sommelier’s responsibilities, experience and accolades.
Curated by Sommelier Edit’s own, constantly updated database of working sommeliers, the list has been honed to select Top 100 Sommeliers, based on a points system, which includes:
- Expert wine knowledge – achieved through qualifications and/or experience
- Level of responsibility – cellar mastery, wine buying, list curation and staff management
- Working experience – length of time working in restaurants as a sommelier
- Professionalism – proven excellence in customer service/experience
- Industry endorsements – support quotes from peers
- Competition success – achievements over others
Top 100 Sommeliers Spain will be judged by a panel of well-respected Spanish wine industry professionals and sommeliers early in 2024 with the results being announce in April.
World famous sommelier and restaurant director at the iconic Savoy Grill in London, Thierry Tomasin, was one of the judges of Top 100 UK Sommeliers in 2023. Commenting on the awards he said, “The numbers don’t lie. Top 100 Sommeliers has a unique system which awards points based on each of the criteria. It is weighted to take into consideration every aspect of a sommelier’s job.”